I guess you would call me a rogue gardener. I have an acre and half of hill, much of which is wooded, where deer, squirrels as big as cats, raccoons, a groundhog and at least one resident barn snake roam about freely. There’s also a mother fox that often brings her kits/pups out to visit. I garden for fun but the one thing I get serious about is invasive plants.

Syble

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Late Thanksgiving

Here on the Hill at five in the morning, it's thirty-two degrees but feels like it is in the twenties. Those that know predict that by afternoon it will have warmed into the high fifties. Personally I have my doubts on that. I will be happy just to have it a little warmer.
There's not much going on in the garden, that's for sure. Late yesterday afternoon I found a blackeyed Susan, close to the house and well protected, with bright yellow flowers.
Tomorrow the family will all be here for dinner. I did not do Thanksgiving on Thursday because the kids all have other places they need to go on that day and it's just easier if we do it on another day. Work was generous this year-we were off, not only Thursday and Friday, for the holiday but also Wednesday. I had already taken Monday as a vacation day. Wednesday I painted the wall of the stairs and about half the foyer so on Monday, if all goes as planned, I will finish painting up there. Since I've moved into this house people who just come to expect me to have some project in process when they arrive. The coming week contractors will be working here so amid my Christmas decorations will be ladders, etc. Even my young grandchildren have learned to avoid the ladders and such. (Sigh) One day it will all be finished and I can just sit back and enjoy it. Then what will I find to have "in process"? I've renovated and remodeled houses most of my life so I just don't know what to do if I don't have something in process.

No comments: