I guess you would call me a rogue gardener. I have an acre and half of hill, much of which is wooded, where deer, squirrels as big as cats, raccoons, a groundhog and at least one resident barn snake roam about freely. There’s also a mother fox that often brings her kits/pups out to visit. I garden for fun but the one thing I get serious about is invasive plants.

Syble

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Digging in Rocks and Dirt

Yesterday was a beautiful day and for mid-July here in Kentucky it was about 10 degrees cooler than normal. The high was only 70F. Actually we broke the record of the coolest July I8 which was set (I believe in 1948) of 71F. I worked outside all day, dug out some of the pavement and put in the larkspurs, I need to find more if the markets still have them for sale. The ones I put in have already finished blooming and look a bit ratty but that's OK. I also added the sand and stepping stones for a path thru this garden. The other side of the path will be herbs since this plot is just outside the back door and very convenient to the kitchen. In the center of the herb portion I want to install some type of ornament, perhaps an old hand pump once used to pump water from the well. I have seen these used as fountains but I'm not going this route. Water features are just too much trouble for me.

No comments: