I guess you would call me a rogue gardener. I have an acre and half of hill, much of which is wooded, where deer, squirrels as big as cats, raccoons, a groundhog and at least one resident barn snake roam about freely. There’s also a mother fox that often brings her kits/pups out to visit. I garden for fun but the one thing I get serious about is invasive plants.

Syble

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Global Warming, Kat, & Racoon

The temperature is sixty-seven degrees.  Sure seems more like spring than late February. Tomorrow the high is only suppose to be around forty-eight.  This afternoon and tonight they forecast rain and cooler temps and possible tornadoes.  Just never know what Mother Nature is gonna throw at us.

I have crocus bloomed and jonquils are several inches high, a miniature rose bush that had buds on it over a month ago.  Global Warming?  Don't subscribe to that theory at all.  The one thing I do know for sure is that I'm going to be mowing, trimming and pulling weeds very soon.

  I would like to introduce my newest friend, Kat, who seems to have adopted my place as her new home.  I know she looks like she had a rough night and maybe she did.  Wonder if I can teach her to pull weeds.  We found her outside one morning looking a bit hungry so we gave her food and she stayed. 

A couple of evenings later I heard a noise outside and when I looked out the window this is what was eating the cat's food.
Not only is he the biggest raccoon I have ever seen he is most brazen.  Turning on the outside lights made no difference to him.  The flash from the camera made him turn his back but a few minutes later he stood up, put his little front paws on an outside chair and looked back at my daughter as she stood in the window.  He was back the next evening and when he found no food he waddled around to the front porch and climbed the steps.  He was quite comical, I must say.  He has not been around lately which is fine.  Cute but not a creature I  would care to do battle with.

No comments: