I guess you would call me a rogue gardener. I have an acre and half of hill, much of which is wooded, where deer, squirrels as big as cats, raccoons, a groundhog and at least one resident barn snake roam about freely. There’s also a mother fox that often brings her kits/pups out to visit. I garden for fun but the one thing I get serious about is invasive plants.

Syble

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Banana Peels for Roses

This morning I fed my roses. Yep, gave 'em banana peels. I've read all kinds of things about feeding banana peels to your roses. Chop, bake, puree, make an emulsion, burry the thing, but all you really need to do is toss the peel close to the bush and stand back. Sometimes I think people just want to make work for themselves. The peels decompose quickly and my roses really love the potassium. The entire flower garden will benefit from peels and if you use a lot of bananas as I do they are a cheap fertlizer.

No comments: