I guess you would call me a rogue gardener. I have an acre and half of hill, much of which is wooded, where deer, squirrels as big as cats, raccoons, a groundhog and at least one resident barn snake roam about freely. There’s also a mother fox that often brings her kits/pups out to visit. I garden for fun but the one thing I get serious about is invasive plants.

Syble

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Resident Groundhog

I saw my little buddy this morning. I had been concerned he was no longer around until I spotted him a few days ago. Today he came ambling down the hill to the ditch and scurried along. Looking a lot like a miniture bear as his short little legs carried him along. I was watching for him to get closer but he disappeared. I have a French drain that runs across my back yard and in a couple of places where there are walkways concrete slabs cover the drain and in a couple of places I have placed decorative wrought iron covers that help keep trash out of the drain and prevent someone from stepping in it. Well this drain is the perfect underground highway for Mr. Groundhog, especially the covered area. After he disappeared I continued to watch for him and then I spotted him. Wish I could have gotten a picture but I was too slow, or he was too quick, whichever I missed a great picture. He had his head poked up between one of the iron grates and the concrete slap that crosses the drain. I must admit he was quite silly looking and worth a good laugh.

No comments: