I guess you would call me a rogue gardener. I have an acre and half of hill, much of which is wooded, where deer, squirrels as big as cats, raccoons, a groundhog and at least one resident barn snake roam about freely. There’s also a mother fox that often brings her kits/pups out to visit. I garden for fun but the one thing I get serious about is invasive plants.

Syble

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Problem Plants

I have just been doing some reading and research on Problem Plants and found this really great info. So many of these plants are sold under different names from those I/we associate with them. Most of the plants mentioned at this link are problem plants here in Kentucky. I am a firm believer that gardners need to do a little research before they purchase any plant with which they are not familar. I am in a never ending battle with invasive plants. It's easy to dig a hole, plop in a plant that has a beautiful flower only to find that by the next year your garden has been over run by the "pretty one". While checking out some plant names I found a picture of a Thornapple. Thinking it looked familiar but never having heard it referred to by that name I checked it out. Growing up on a farm we referred to it by less attractive names - jimson weed, stinkweed, locoweed & devil's trumpet are a few of the mentionable ones. It is considered an unsual poison plant because more humans are affected than animals. All parts are poisonous. A picture to help identify the plant. Take care if you have this in your garden.

No comments: