I guess you would call me a rogue gardener. I have an acre and half of hill, much of which is wooded, where deer, squirrels as big as cats, raccoons, a groundhog and at least one resident barn snake roam about freely. There’s also a mother fox that often brings her kits/pups out to visit. I garden for fun but the one thing I get serious about is invasive plants.

Syble

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Purple Trillium

Look what I found the other day! I'm so happy that they came to live in my garden. You have to look closely to find them in among the lilies, but the speckled leaves are there. Last year before we sold Dad's house I moved bunches of his flowers. Mom dug these many years ago from the woods and they have grown in that flower garden since, multipling slowly. After they have bloomed, I will move them to a more shaded area with the bluebells. The unusual flowers bloom here in Kentucky from late Arpil to mid-May or maybe a little later. I'm not sure these will bloom this year since I have read that they need to be several years old before they will flower. We will see. It is said that they can live to be 25 years old or longer. So far the deer have not bothered these but in my research of this plant I found that in heavily browsed areas the plants will die out.

No comments: