I guess you would call me a rogue gardener. I have an acre and half of hill, much of which is wooded, where deer, squirrels as big as cats, raccoons, a groundhog and at least one resident barn snake roam about freely. There’s also a mother fox that often brings her kits/pups out to visit. I garden for fun but the one thing I get serious about is invasive plants.

Syble

Thursday, April 30, 2009

More Ferns

This is a not so good picture of my side yard but it does prove that "the sun does not shine here". Since this picture was made I have cut back the shrubs but the hickory tree still has the drooping limbs. It seems to have been a neglected area for a long time. buying flowers. I purchased some Kimberly ferns. It was a shot in the dark because I had never heard of them. So I buy them take them home and put them in the ground then check them out to see what info I can find. Yeah, the backward way to do things I know, but what can I say. I did discover they are native to Australia, I think, and that in Florida they have become very invasive. Seems zone 6 may keep them from becoming anything like that. I surely don't need any more invasive weeds.

When I first bought this property I brought a ton of heirloom Iris with me, planted them here in side yard after I raked up years of hickory leaves and nuts only to have ever one of the Iris just disappear. Months later I discovered that logs of my house had been treated with creasode and I suppose it had leached into the ground.

No comments: