I guess you would call me a rogue gardener. I have an acre and half of hill, much of which is wooded, where deer, squirrels as big as cats, raccoons, a groundhog and at least one resident barn snake roam about freely. There’s also a mother fox that often brings her kits/pups out to visit. I garden for fun but the one thing I get serious about is invasive plants.

Syble

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Resident Ground Hog

My resident groundhog is just too funny, even when I find him sitting up nibbling on my plants. He loves daisies and coneflowers. In the spring he’s not so rotund but before the summer is gone you really can’t tell if he’s running on those short little legs or just rolling along. Because I have a French drain that runs across the back yard and there are small “bridges” where the walks cross it he has a series of man-made tunnels that he can maneuver through. I come home from work to see a dark shadow scurrying up the ditch to duck under the bridge. He’s fat and sassy and on the move and all’s right in our little part of the world.

No comments: